Translate

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Doubletree, MRAs, and Bedbugs

I have such a small readership (I like to think of it as very select of course) that when I get even a modest uptick in hits, I'm curious.  I noticed a couple of days ago that I was getting referrals from a blog called "Just4Guys," which I had until now never read (although I have to say, How cute is that name, "Just4Guys"?)  Of course I popped over for a look-see.

The referral was from a comment regarding the Elliot Rodger story; someone had posted a link to my own initial response two days ago.  Nothing scary or dramatic in the comment, just one of several "feminist" links that had brought a couple dozen viewers my way.

Today I note that Obsidian, the webmaster of "Just4Guys," was pretty unhappy about a change.org petition that has been started to protest A Voice For Men's plan to hold its First International Conference at the downtown Detroit Doubletree Inn in June.  

How did this event escape my notice?  I briefly considered registering on the spot. This would be, after all, a rare chance to get up close and personal with the MRM Grand Pooh-bah (and MC of My Nightmares) Paul Elam himself.  Imagine the thrill of accidentally-on-purpose brushing bellies with Dean Esmay in the bar after a stirring workshop on grass-roots activism.  Would Karen be there? Cuz I'd love to buy Girl Writes What a drink!  What about John the Otter -- what would he look like after a couple of dry martinis, or three?  And don't these sorts of affairs always hold a Disco Night?  What fun that would be, boogying down into the wee hours with Atilla Vinczer and the young studs of CAFE!

I can't say that a weekend in Detroit is on my bucket list, but the price of admission certainly accommodates my modest budget.

The event is only a month away. Here's a link to the petition, which has of this moment gotten over 1000 signatures.  Here's the link to Doubletree / Hilton's contact page.

My partner and I often stay at Doubletree Inn when we're traveling because they're convenient and offer nice weekend packages.  I don't think I'd feel the same about Doubletree after it had hosted AVfM though, despite the paper band across the toilet seats reassuring me "has been sanitized for your protection."

4 comments:

  1. Ye gods! Don't do it! I don't know if you're familiar with Neil Gaiman's Sandman comic, but the event you describe reminds me of the "serial killer convention" storyline. Actually, after Elliott Rodger, it really reminds me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is probably the most exciting thing to happen to the 'sphere since that thrill-a-minute New Orleans trip.

    I'm on board with the petition, but I'm almost a bit sad to miss out on ensuing post-party hysteria. (Also feel a little sorry for the maids, front desk employees and assorted other women working there who will doubtless be subjected to "game" attempts.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is not a pick up artist convention. I'm certain there will be no "game" attempts.

      Jesus, at least get straight which group you're hating on.

      Delete
    2. Pardon us, we have trouble keeping the factions apart. All misogynists look kind of the same.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting!